Keeping Your Kids Safe on Discord: A Parent’s Guide
Discord is a popular chat app that’s used by millions of people around the world. It’s a great way to stay connected with friends and family, but it can also be a potential safety risk for kids, which in turn raises the need for Discord parental controls. That’s why it’s important for parents to understand the risks and take steps to keep their kids safe online.
In this guide, we’ll discuss the potential risks for kids, and provide some tips on how to keep your kids safe using parental controls for Discord. We’ll also cover the topic of parental controls, and provide some recommendations for mobile apps that you can use.
- About Discord: What It Is and How It Works
- Is Discord Safe for Kids?
- Are There Parental Controls on Discord?
- Other Ways to Keep Your Child Safe Online
About Discord: What It Is and How It Works
As mentioned before, Discord is a free voice, video, and text chat app that’s used by gamers and other online communities.
Discord works by creating servers, which are like chat rooms. Servers can be public or private, and they can be created for any purpose. Once you’re on a server, you can chat with other people, send private messages, and share files:
- You create an account and sign in to Discord.
- You search for a server to join, or you create your own server.
- Once you’re on a server, you can chat with other people on the server in text channels or voice channels.
- You can also send private messages to other people on the server.
- You can share files with other people on the server.
Discord is quite popular among gaming communities because it allows them to communicate with each other while they’re playing. It’s also a popular platform for other online communities, such as those for artists, musicians, and writers.
If you’re looking for a way to stay connected with friends and family, or if you’re looking for a platform to join an online community, Discord is a great option.
Here are some of the things that people and kids use Discord for:
- Gaming: Discord is a great way for gamers to communicate with each other while they’re playing games. They can use voice chat to coordinate their strategies, or they can use text chat to discuss the game.
- Streaming: Discord can also be used to stream games and other content live to an audience. This is a great way for gamers to share their gameplay with others, or for people to watch their favorite streamers play games.
- Collaboration: Discord can be used for collaboration on projects, such as school work or work projects. People can use voice chat or text chat to discuss their work, and they can also share files with each other.
- Socializing: Discord can also be used for general socializing, such as chatting with friends or family. People can create servers for their friends, or they can join servers that are focused on specific interests.
It’s important to note that Discord can also be a potential safety risk for kids. There have been reports of predators using Discord to target kids, so it’s important to be aware of the risks and rely on parental controls on Discord to protect your children on this platform.
Is Discord Safe for Kids?
Although, it’s a great way to stay connected with friends and family, but it can also be a potential safety risk for kids.
Here are some of the risks that kids can face using Discord:
- Predators: There have been reports of predators using Discord to target kids. Predators may pose as someone else, such as a kid or a teenager, in order to gain a child’s trust. They may then try to get the child to share personal information or to meet up in person.
- Cyberbullying: Cyberbullying is a form of bullying that takes place online or through electronic devices. Cyberbullies may send mean or threatening messages to kids, or they may post embarrassing or hurtful photos or videos of kids online.
- Exposure to inappropriate content: Discord is a platform where users can create their own servers, and these servers can be focused on any topic. This means that there is a risk that kids could be exposed to inappropriate content, such as pornography or violence.
- Data privacy: Discord collects a lot of data about its users, including their IP addresses, device information, and chat logs. This data could be used to track kids’ online activity or to target them with advertising.
It’s important for parents to be aware of the risks that kids face using Discord, and to take steps to protect their children.
Related: 15 Warning Signs of a Child Predator.
Are There Parental Controls on Discord?
Discord does not have built-in parental controls, but there are a few things that parents can do to keep their kids safe on the platform:
- Child accounts: Discord allows users to create child accounts, which have some restrictions in place. For example, child accounts cannot join NSFW servers or send direct messages to people outside of their friends’ list.
- Safe Direct Messaging: This feature allows parents to scan all direct messages for explicit content.
- Message Requests: Parents can choose to allow or block message requests from people outside of their child’s friends list.
- Server Membership: Parents can see which servers their child is a member of, and they can block their child from joining certain servers.
- Screen Time: Parents can set time limits for Discord use, and they can receive notifications when their child exceeds their time limit.
Other than these features, it is imperative for parents to talk to their kids about online safety. Make sure they know not to share personal information with strangers and to report any inappropriate content that they see.
Other Ways to Keep Your Child Safe Online
Here are some more tips for keeping kids safe on Discord:
- Talk to your kids about online safety: Talk to your kids about the risks of online communication, and how to stay safe.
- Monitor your kids’ Discord activity: Keep an eye on what your kids are doing on Discord, and who they are talking to.
- Use a secure internet connection: Use a secure internet connection, such as a VPN, when your kids are using Discord.
- Set up parental controls.
Kids360 is a parental control app that helps parents monitor their kids’ online activity. The app can block inappropriate content and set time limits for online use.
Here are some of the features of the Kids360 app:
- Screen Time Management: Parents can set limits on screen time, creating schedules for device usage and enforcing time restrictions to encourage a balanced approach to technology.
- App Monitoring and Blocking: The app provides insights into the apps installed on the child’s device, allowing parents to monitor their usage and block specific apps that they deem inappropriate or excessive.
- App Usage Reports: Parents can receive detailed reports on their child’s app usage patterns, helping them gain insights into their digital behavior and make informed decisions.
- Remote Device Management: Kids360 allows parents to remotely manage and control their child’s device, including app installations, updates, and settings adjustments.
- Customizable Parental Controls: The app offers customizable options for parents to tailor the level of control and restrictions based on their child’s age, maturity, and specific needs.
To use the Kids360 app, you first need to create an account and download the app on your child’s device. Once you’ve done that, you can start setting up the app’s features.
The Kids360 app is a great way to keep your kids safe online! It’s easy to use, and it’s effective at blocking inappropriate content and tracking your child’s online activity.
a. What Is the Discord Age Limit?
Discord’s minimum age requirement is 13 years old. However, there is no way to enforce this age limit, so it is up to parents to decide whether or not their child is old enough to use Discord.
b. What Is NSFW on Discord?
NSFW stands for “Not Safe for Work.” On Discord, NSFW content can include nudity, violence, or other explicit content. Discord has a number of features that can be used to filter out NSFW content, but it is still possible for children to see this content if they are not careful.
c. Is Discord Just for Gaming Content?
No, Discord is not just for gaming content. It can also be used for a variety of other purposes, such as chatting with friends, collaborating on projects, or joining online communities.
d. How do I monitor my child’s Discord?
There are a few ways to monitor your child’s Discord. One way is to use Discord’s parental controls. Discord’s parental controls allow you to block NSFW content, track chat logs, and set time limits for Discord use.
Another way to monitor your child’s Discord is to use a third-party parental control app. There are a number of third-party parental control apps that can be used to monitor Discord activity. These apps can block inappropriate content, track chat logs, and set time limits for Discord use.
e. Should I let my 12-year-old son have Discord?
This is a decision that only you can make. There are a number of factors to consider, such as your son’s maturity level, his understanding of online safety, and your own comfort level with him using the platform.
If you do decide to let your son use Discord, there are a number of things you can do to help keep him safe. These include:
- Talk to him about online safety. Make sure he knows not to share personal information with strangers and to report any inappropriate content that he sees.
- Use Discord’s parental controls. Discord’s parental controls can help you block NSFW content, track chat logs, and set time limits for Discord use.
- Use a third-party parental control app like Kids360.
g. Can parental control see Discord messages?
Yes, parental control apps can see Discord messages. These apps can also see who your child is talking to, what they are talking about, and when they are talking.
Ultimately, it’s essential for parents to be aware of the risks that come with using Discord. By taking steps to keep your kids safe, you can help ensure that they are only viewing age-appropriate content and communicating with people who share their values and interests. Utilizing parental control apps such as Kids360 can help you achieve this goal. With Kids360 installed on your child’s device, you can rest assured that they are always safe online, no matter what app they’re using.
The picture on the front page: Business stock/Shutterstock.com
Проверьте электронный ящик