How to Check iPhone Location History: Easy Methods
Many modern mobile devices, including iPhones, track their locations and keep records of where they’ve been. While this can be considered an invasion of privacy, it’s also quite a useful feature, especially for parents who want to see where their kids have been.
This guide will cover all you need to know about checking iPhone location history. Read on to learn several simple ways to view the iPhone location history, as well as app recommendations for parents to keep track of their children easily and conveniently.
- Brief Instructions
- Basic Method: Check the Settings “Finding My iPhone Location History”
- Finding Info from Apple Maps Location History on iPhone
- Is There a Way to See Location History on Google Maps?
- Alternative Way to Check Someone’s Location History on iPhone? Parental Control Apps
Here’s a quick rundown of the main steps to follow to access an iPhone’s location history in an instant, using both iOS’ own location tracking, as well as Google Maps.
- First, make sure that location services are switched on for the device. If you disable the location services, you won’t be able to access any location history.
- To view your iOS history, go to Settings, then Privacy, then Location Services. Click on System Services, followed by Significant Locations.
- To see Google Maps location history instead, open up the app, then tap the profile picture, followed by “Your data in Maps” and then “See & delete activity.”
Basic Method: Check the Settings “Finding My iPhone Location History”
iPhones come with location tracking technology built in. It uses a mixture of GPS, Bluetooth, cell towers, and Wi-Fi technology to track your location at any time. Each significant location is stored in the phone’s memory for you to view later on.
So, if you want to see where you’ve been going or check up on the movements of a loved one or child, this is easily done by viewing their iPhone location history.
Here’s how it’s done via the phone’s settings:
- Find and open up the Settings of the iPhone.
- Tap on the Privacy button in the drop-down menu.
- Then tap on Location Services, followed by System Services, which you can find at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on either “Frequent Locations” or “Significant Locations” to see a full list of key locations the phone has been to.
- This shows full-time stamps for arrival and departure at each location, and you can tap on each city or location to learn more about it.
Finding Info from Apple Maps Location History on iPhone
Users might also try to use Apple Maps to track down their iPhone location history. However, at this time, Apple Maps does not yet have a location history feature. So, it’s not possible to see where a device has been using Apple Maps.
However, it is still possible to look through the app’s search history, which can be useful for finding possible locations the phone may have been to.
- Launch the Apple Maps app on your iPhone.
- Swipe up on the gray card.
- Tap on “See All” in the “Recent Searches” box.
- Tap on a location to see exactly where it is and get directions to it.
Is There a Way to See Location History on Google Maps?
The popular Google Maps app can also track location history on iPhone. Users can access their Google Maps timeline, which is tied to their Google account, to see where a device has been. Here’s how it’s done:
- First, open up the Google Maps app on the iPhone.
- Tap on the profile picture icon in the top right corner of the app screen.
- Select the “Your data in Maps” button.
- Next, tap on “See & delete activity” in the Location History section of the menu.
- At the bottom of the next screen, you should see a box marked “Today.” Tap on that or use the arrows to the side to switch to different dates and see where the phone was on each of those dates.
- If no locations appear for certain dates, it might be simply due to the fact that location services were disabled on that day.
Alternative Way to Check Someone’s Location History on iPhone? Parental Control Apps
As well as the methods outlined above, there are other ways for parents and guardians to track the movements of their kids’ devices. Various third-party GPS tracker apps exist that can allow you to monitor your child’s location, see where they’ve been, and keep them safe.
Key features include:
- Check on your child’s accurate, real-time location whenever you want to ensure that they’re where they’re supposed to be
- Find and locate lost children in a few quick taps
- Get instant updates about places that your child goes to
- Track your child’s location history as they move from place to place
- Receive SOS signals from a child in need of help
To enjoy the safety benefits of Findmykids, simply download the app to your iPhone today and follow the set-up instructions.
How can I see my full location history iPhone?
The easiest way to view your full iPhone location history is via the device’s settings menu. Simply open up the settings and then find and tap on the Privacy button followed by Location Services, followed by System Services. Then tap on either “Frequent Locations” or “Significant Locations” to see a full list of where the phone has been.
Why can’t I see my Location History on my iPhone?
If you can’t view your location history via the settings method listed above or any other method, it’s most likely because location tracking has been disabled on that device. If you disable location tracking, the iPhone won’t be able to store logs of the places that you have been to.
Can tracking be turned off?
Yes, it is possible to turn off location tracking on an iPhone and other iOS devices. This can be done via the settings menu. Just open Settings, then Privacy, and Location Services, and turn off location tracking for the relevant apps. This is a good way to protect privacy, but may also be problematic for users who want to see their location histories later on.
How Long Does the iPhone Store Location History?
It depends on the settings of the device and the user’s privacy settings. Apple doesn’t store location history data for any longer than 24 months, and most devices will usually only let you view locations for the most recent days and weeks, typically not going back much further than that.
Is My Location History Private?
It depends on which app you’re using. Google Maps, for example, has an option for users to share their Google Timeline and location data with other people. In general, location data on iPhone is usually only visible to the device owner, but there can be ways for other people to see it.
How to Delete Location History On iPhone?
If you want to delete your location history on your iPhone, just open up the settings. Then go to the Privacy menu, followed by Location Services and then System Services. Tap on Significant Locations and then tap the Clear History button.
The picture on the front page: Triff/Shutterstock.com
Проверьте электронный ящик