9 Best Location Tracking Apps for Android and iOS in 2022
Keeping tabs on kids and other family members can be a real headache. However, with today’s tracking and mobile technology, the process has become a lot easier and faster than it used to be. If you’re looking for the best location tracking app, you’ve come to the right place!
In this article, we list down some of the best real-time location tracking apps as well as their pros and cons.
- Our Тоp Picks
- Best Location Tracking Apps for Android
- Best Location Tracking App for iOS
- Frequently Asked Questions
Our Тоp Picks
By using a mobile location tracking app, you can know the whereabouts of your loved ones and get alerts when they reach or leave from home. The different kinds of tracking apps available in the market offer different features depending on your needs. You can read about them here and choose the best app for location tracking.
|App||OS||Best for||Rating (Out of 10)|
|Find My Kids||Android, iOS||Parents and Families||10|
|Find My||iOS||All users||10|
Best Location Tracking App for Android
1. Find My Kids
Find My Kids is the most comprehensive GPS location tracking app for parents. The app can tell you a person’s current location as well as their location history to help you ensure your child’s safety. It’s also simple to use — all you have to do is install it and follow the instructions upon setup.
The app is available for Android as well as iOS devices (click here to download now), however, some functionalities are only available in the Android version.
The primary features of the Find My Kids GPS app are:
- accurate location tracking for up to 12 meters;
- alert notifications when your child steps into an unauthorized area;
- compatibility with GPS smartwatch devices;
- a report on your child’s smartphone activity;
- the audio recording of your child’s surroundings (Android only).
- all features are available with the free trial;
- certified by COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act ) under the kidSAFE Seal Program;
- includes an SOS button for emergency alerts;
- accurate location information;
- easy-to-use interface;
- minimum impact on device autonomy;
- grants admin rights only to parents;
- option to add an unlimited number of devices to your account.
- limited-time free trial.
Next on our list of the best real-time location tracking apps is Life360. This app is perfect for families as it helps keep track of different family members and helps everyone stay connected.
Some of the features of Life360 are:
- displays the ETA (estimated time of arrival) of a user;
- notification alerts when a member arrives/leaves a saved place (like home or school);
- an SOS option that notifies your family when you need help;
- helps family members share their locations;
- automatic car crash detection (US users);
- driver Protect version tracks driving behavior of members.
- accurate location sharing;
- emergency panic button;
- in-app messaging;
- car breakdown assistance.
- many features need to be paid for.
Hoverwatch is one of the most accurate mobile location tracking apps that’s available on Android smartphones for parents. The impressive geolocation feature accurately pinpoints the location of your kid’s Android device using Wi-Fi signals, cell towers, and GPS satellites.
Apart from location tracking, the app offers some useful features that include:
- ability to track the messaging activity on apps like WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.;
- tracks the internet history of a device;
- traces received calls and SMSes;
- takes phone screenshots when you want.
- simple and easy-to-use interface;
- accurate GPS tracking;
- can track messaging apps;
- records incoming and outgoing calls.
- advanced features require the target phone to be rooted
- limited free-trialю
One of the most trusted real-time location tracking apps for families, FamiSafe offers a plethora of features that make it extremely useful. Apart from accurate location tracking, it also has a “geofencing” feature that lets you identify a certain area and get real-time alerts when someone arrives or leaves that area.
That’s not all. Some other features that you can find on FamiSafe include:
- website filtering to block inappropriate content;
- screen time control;
- app blocker and activity tracking;
- location history report;
- explicit content detection.
- tracks real-time location;
- compatible with Android and iOS devices;
- useful phone usage analytics;
- cyberbullying prevention.
- limited-period free trial;
- no call monitoring.
Find My Phone
If you’ve dealt with the stress and inconvenience of a lost or stolen device, this GPS location tracking app is for you. Find My Phone’s navigational assistance guides you to your lost smartphone device, making retrieval quick and easy.
Using this GPS tracker app, you can instantly:
- find a lost, stolen or missing device, no matter who it belongs to;
- keep tab on missing or lost devices;
- track where a device has been using the location history feature.
- provides an accurate location of your device;
- easy user interface;
- helpful in tracking lost devices;
- provides location history;
- free to use.
- limited features;
- cannot track app activities.
Best Location Tracking App for iOS
Apple combined two of their apps, Find My Friends and Find My iPhone, to create the new real-time location tracking app Find My after the iOS 13 update in 2019. This application comes pre-installed on all iOS devices. It does not just help you track your own iPhone in case it gets lost, but also helps you keep tabs on the whereabouts of your loved ones once they share it with you.
Other features of this app include:
- can share location through the app or iMessage;
- helps locate all kinds of Apple devices – iPhones, iPads, AirPods, Mac, and Apple Watches;
- can instantly and remotely lock your device;
- can erase your data if necessary.
- provides the location of your missing Apple device;
- locate your device even if it isn’t connected to the internet;
- easy to share location with friends and family;
- can be used on multiple Apple devices.
- limited features;
- doesn’t track app activity.
iSharing is the best app for location tracking for families. The app is extremely secure and allows you to track your family members privately and in real-time with the GPS tracker. It also gives alerts when someone leaves/arrives at a particular location, or if they are nearby.
Some other features include:
- directions to your loved one’s location;
- can send a panic alert to selected contacts;
- shows the battery status of your loved one’s phone;
- can converts phones into walkie-talkies;
- message your loved ones in-app.
- clean and easy to use UI;
- displays driving habits through summary graphs;
- available on iPhones and Android devices;
- essential features available in free version;
- provides a person’s location history.
- in-app purchases.
Well-known for providing directions, Google Maps is the best app for location tracking eitheir on iPhones and Android devices. Google Maps lets you share your live location with friends or family, makimg them know your whereabouts and ETA.
Some other features of Google Maps include:
- real-time travel updates – shows road blockages, delays, accidents, etc.;
- suggests the fastest routes;
- finds directions to almost every location you can think of.
- you can select a duration for sharing your location;
- maintains a timeline of your location history;
- supported by iOS as well as Android devices;
- provides highly accurate location sharing.
- directions can be inaccurate at times;
- has limited features when it comes to activity tracking.
Spyic provides parental controls, monitors your child’s smartphone activity, and is a remote GPS location tracking app. The app uses GPS, Wi-Fi, and SIM card trackers to get highly accurate real-time location updates.
Some of the other features of Spyic are:
- monitoring SMSes iMessage, and social media for malicious content;
- can check call logs and call durations;
- can review website history on browsers;
- geo-fencing, create a virtual geographic boundary.
- provides highly accurate real-time locations;
- helps monitor social media and messaging apps like WhatsApp;
- 100% discreet;
- keeps track of phone contacts;
- pricey subscription plans.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best family location tracking app?
The best app for your family is easy-to-use and has features that meets your needs. You might consider Find My Kids, a comprehensive GPS location tracking app made for parents who want to ensure their children’s safety. It accurately tells you their locations while helping you keep track of their smartphone activity. You can download the Find My Kids app for iOS and Android here.
2. What is the best business location tracking app?
Eliminating unnecessary (and costly) paperwork as well as mundane processes are important for businesses. With Hourly, you can connect to your workers’ insurance, payroll, and time tracking details in real-time. The app also allows you to only pay for the coverage you need. Find out more about Hourly here.
3. How to make the iOS app run location tracking even if it is closed?
Follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- Ensure that “location services” is turned on.
- Scroll down until you find the location tracking app you want to keep running.
- Tap the app and select the option: “always.”
The app will now have access to your location even when it’s running in the background.
Whether it’s for keeping tabs on your children’s activities and locations, or tracking a loved one while they travel — mobile location tracking apps have become a necessity, especially for parents. These apps give you peace of mind by helping you keep your kids safe online and in real life.
Проверьте электронный ящик