10 Best Apps to Track Kids Location for Caring Parents
Keeping tabs on kids and other family members can be a real headache. However, with today’s tracking and mobile technology, the process has become a lot easier and faster than it used to be.
In this article, we list down some of the best real-time location tracking apps as well as their pros and cons. You’ll discover fantastic apps like Findmykids, which accurate child tracking while adding extra options to boost your kid’s protection and assist in emergencies. Here’s what you should know about the top apps to track kids’ locations!
Our Тоp Picks
By using a mobile location tracking app, you can know the whereabouts of your loved ones and get alerts when they reach or leave home. The different kinds of tracking apps available in the market offer different features depending on your needs. You can read about them here and choose the best app for you and your family.
|Rating (Out of 10)
|Parents and Families
|Find My Phone
|Kaspersky Safe Kids
|Google Family Link
Best App to Track Your Child’s Location
Findmykids is the most comprehensive GPS location-tracking app for parents. The app can tell you a person’s current location as well as their location history to help you ensure your child’s safety. It’s also simple to use—all you have to do is install it and follow the instructions upon setup.
The app is available for Android as well as iOS devices. Сlick here to download it now and try it for free!
It’s impressive how easy it is to use the Findmykids app. You can’t put a price on the peace of mind provided by this app. And on top of that, you’ll get detailed app statistics, so you’ll know how much your child uses social media, other messaging apps, and the phone overall.
Findmykids come with monthly, annual, and unlimited subscriptions for up to three devices, ensuring anyone can find their favorite pricing package.
The primary features of the Findmykids GPS app are:
- accurate geopositioning for up to 12 meters;
- alert notifications when your child steps into an unauthorized area;
- compatibility with GPS smartwatch devices;
- a report on your child’s smartphone activity (app management);
- the audio recording of your child’s surroundings (Android only).
- all features are available with the free trial;
- certified by COPPA (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act ) under the kidSAFE Seal Program;
- includes an SOS button for emergency alerts;
- accurate location information;
- easy-to-use interface;
- minimum impact on device autonomy;
- grants admin rights only to parents;
- option to add an unlimited number of devices to your account.
- limited-time free trial.
Most parental control apps don’t have a geolocation feature, so Findmykids is a good choice if you want to combine these two features—geolocation and child phone usage analytics.
Next on our list is Life360. This app is perfect for families as it helps keep track of different family members and helps everyone stay connected.
The idea of location sharing is convenient, especially if you are behind the wheel. You can tap on your family member’s photo and the system will automatically provide directions to that location.
The free version, however, only offers two days of location history, and there are limited place alerts, which could compromise the app’s functionality, while the premium features cost $4.99 monthly.
You can use the app on Android and iOS devices.
Some of the features of Life360 are:
- displays the ETA (estimated time of arrival) of a user;
- notification alerts when a member arrives/leaves a saved place (like home or school);
- an SOS option that notifies your family when you need help;
- helps family members share their locations;
- automatic car crash detection (US users);
- driver Protect version tracks the driving behavior of members.
- accurate location sharing;
- emergency panic button;
- in-app messaging;
- car breakdown assistance.
- many features need to be paid for.
Hoverwatch is one of the most accurate mobile location tracking apps that’s available on Android smartphones for parents. The impressive geolocation feature accurately pinpoints the location of your kid’s Android device using Wi-Fi signals, cell towers, and GPS satellites.
While Hoverwatch is an advanced app to monitor the child’s online activity, it’s also among the more expensive ones.
You have monthly, quarterly, and annual subscriptions, with the last one costing €99.95, which is quite pricey.
Apart from location tracking, the app offers some useful features that include:
- ability to track the messaging activity on apps like WhatsApp, Messenger, etc.;
- tracks the internet history of a device;
- traces received calls and SMSes;
- takes phone screenshots when you want.
- simple and easy-to-use interface;
- accurate GPS tracking;
- can track messaging apps;
- records incoming and outgoing calls.
- advanced features require the target phone to be rooted
- limited free-trialю
One of the most trusted real-time location tracking apps for families, FamiSafe offers a plethora of features that make it extremely useful. Apart from accurate positioning, it also has a “geofencing” feature that lets you identify a certain area and get real-time alerts when someone arrives or leaves that area.
You can download FamiSafe from the Google Play Store for Android, or the iOS store for Apple’s devices. The monthly plan starts at $10.99 per month, although you can get a yearly subscription for $60.99.
That’s not all. Some other features that you can find on FamiSafe include:
- website filtering to block inappropriate content;
- parental control app features such as screen time control;
- app blocker and activity tracking;
- location history report;
- explicit content detection.
- tracks real-time location;
- compatible with Android and iOS devices;
- useful phone usage analytics;
- cyberbullying prevention.
- limited-period free trial;
- no call monitoring.
Find My Phone
If you’ve dealt with the stress and inconvenience of a lost or stolen device, this GPS location tracker is for you. Find My Phone’s navigational assistance guides you to your lost smartphone device, making retrieval quick and easy.
Using this GPS tracker app, you can instantly:
- find a lost, stolen, or missing device, no matter who it belongs to;
- keep a tab on missing or lost devices;
- track where a device has been using the location history feature.
- provides an accurate location of your device;
- easy user interface;
- helpful in tracking lost devices;
- provides location history;
- free to use.
- limited features;
- cannot track app activities.
Apple combined two of its apps, Find My Friends and Find My iPhone, to create the new real-time location tracking app Find My after the iOS 13 update in 2019. This application comes pre-installed on all iOS devices. It does not just help you track your own iPhone in case it gets lost but also helps you keep tabs on the whereabouts of your loved ones once they share it with you.
The overall functionality, however, is quite limited. We understand that Find My is free and not designed to be a geotracking app in the first place, but if you prefer detailed reports and extra features for your monitoring tool, this isn’t the best app for you.
Other features of this app include:
- can share location through the app or iMessage;
- helps locate all kinds of Apple devices—iPhones, iPads, AirPods, Macs, and Apple Watches;
- can instantly and remotely lock your device;
- can erase your data if necessary.
- provides the location of your missing Apple device;
- locate your device even if it isn’t connected to the internet;
- easy to share location with friends and family;
- can be used on multiple Apple devices.
- limited features;
- doesn’t track app activity.
iSharing is the best app for location tracking for families. The app is extremely secure and allows you to track your family members privately and in real-time with the GPS tracker. It also gives alerts when someone leaves/arrives at a particular location, or if they are nearby.
Although the basic version is free, you can apply for a Premium subscription, which costs from $3.99 per month. And even with those options, don’t expect any additional features like an option to monitor calls.
Some other features include:
- directions to your loved one’s location;
- can send a panic alert to selected contacts;
- shows the battery status of your loved one’s phone;
- can convert phones into walkie-talkies;
- message your loved ones in-app.
- clean and easy-to-use UI;
- displays driving habits through summary graphs;
- available on iPhones and Android devices;
- essential features available in the free version;
- provides a person’s location history.
- in-app purchases.
Well-known for providing directions, Google Maps is the best app for location tracking either on iPhones or Android devices. Google Maps lets you share your live location with friends or family, making them know your whereabouts and ETA.
Although Google Maps is free and convenient, its features are quite limiting. If you want full child activity tracking, you won’t find it here since there are no screen time management features or social media monitoring. But for what it’s worth, Google Maps could be useful until you find a better alternative for your kids’ online safety.
Some other features of Google Maps include:
- real-time travel updates—shows road blockages, delays, accidents, etc.;
- suggests the fastest routes;
- finds directions to almost every location you can think of.
- you can select a duration for sharing your location;
- maintains a timeline of your location history;
- supported by iOS as well as Android devices;
- provides highly accurate location sharing.
- directions can be inaccurate at times;
- has limited features when it comes to activity tracking.
9. Kaspersky Safe Kids
As geotracking is the focus of our review, let’s mention that Kaspersky Safe Kids provides detailed information about your child’s whereabouts at all moments. But that only scratches the surface of what this app can do.
The biggest advantage of Kaspersky Safe Kids is screen time management. It’s a parental control app where you can set how much time can your kid use a certain device per day, as well as prevent them from even installing social media apps. Another way to keep kids safe is to use Safe Search and web filtering to hide inappropriate content.
Although you can download the app for free, you achieve full functionality only with the premium version, which is a bit pricey. And the installation on your and the kid’s phone will take some time.
Some of the other features of Kaspersky Safe Kids are:
- GPS tracking used to monitor the child’s location;
- detailed reports about the app, internet, and YouTube activity;
- web filtering and Safe Search options;
- available on Android and iOS devices;
- provides highly accurate real-time locations;
- it helps build proper digital habits with device scheduling;
- you can block apps to prevent your kid from using them;
- excellent internet filtering options;
- installation takes a bit of time and effort.
10. Google Family Link
Google Family Link is more than a simple location-tracking app. It also allows you to take control of your child’s phone and set various app permissions. Detailed app monitoring and setting time limits is also possible.
As for positioning, you can see where multiple members of your family are at any point. The only condition is you connected the desired devices to your app. And the best part is that this is a free app, so you won’t be charged a single cent.
Google Family Link comes with a user-friendly interface, but limited features, especially when compared with premium apps in this category. But it’s available for both Android and iOS devices, so you can give it a shot.
Some of the Google Family Link features are:
- tracking multiple family members from a single device;
- adjusting app permissions to protect your child’s privacy;
- receiving notifications and alerts when your kid leaves a location
- setting screen time limits and guiding them to age-appropriate content
- available on Android and iOS devices;
- it’s easy to set screen time limits;
- free to download and use forever;
- a simple and intuitive interface;
- it’s not only parental control app.
- its features aren’t as expensive as other child-tracking apps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it legal to track my child’s location?
If your kid is minor and you are their parent or legal guardian, there’s no law preventing you from using a GPS device on your child’s devices. Being informed of their whereabouts could help them stay out of trouble and ensures you can easily track them if they get lost.
Which features should I look for in a location-tracking app?
You want a reliable app that will be compatible with your child’s phone. GPS is the usual technology used for tracking, and providing real-time updates on your kid’s location is important. Other useful features include screen time management (like in parental control apps), audio and video calls, and emergency alerts.
How accurate is a location-tracking app?
It depends on the parent tracker app used, but if the software uses GPS technology to locate the child’s device, it should be quite precise. That means the app should show the kid’s location with an accuracy of 10-50 feet.
Can a location-tracking app drain my phone’s battery?
A family tracking app is using your battery, but no more or less than most other apps you frequently use. Another thing to consider is that the activated GPS option on your kid’s phone will use up more of their battery than usual. But with a smartphone with a reliable and durable battery, these apps shouldn’t make much of a difference when it comes to battery use.
How to make the iOS app run location tracking even if it is closed?
Follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- Ensure that “location services” is turned on.
- Scroll down until you find the location-tracking app you want to keep running.
- Tap the app and select the option: “always.”
The app will now have access to your location even when it’s running in the background.
Whether it’s for keeping tabs on your children’s activities and locations, or tracking a loved one while they travel — mobile location tracking apps have become a necessity, especially for parents. These apps give you peace of mind by helping you keep your kids safe online and in real life.
Проверьте электронный ящик