10 Best Family Tracking Apps in 2023
Tech companies today all strive to be the best. To find the best tracking apps for your family, you will want to look at the features and price of each one before you find what will be the best for you and your family. Both Android and iPhone users will find the best apps for their individual needs.
All of our family members have busy lives and we are all constantly on the go. We may wake up and go to bed in the same house but during all the hours in between, we are torn into opposite directions.
Tracking apps give a parent or family member the peace of mind we all search for. There are a few top picks when it comes to tracking apps. Findmykids, Life 360, Gpswox Family Locator, and Family Link for Google are all excellent choices. We will get into the details and features specifically of them all in this article.
- How Do Family Trackers Work?
- Top Picks
- 10 Best Tracking Apps for Family for Android and iOS
- How to Pick the Best Family Tracker App?
- How to Put to Use a Family Locator App?
How Do Family Trackers Work?
A tracking device works by using multilateration of mobile radio signals. The device can emit an idle signal and it will contact nearby antennas or radio towers. This can be done easily in today’s world where more cellphone towers are always being added to networks.
This app allows the parent or guardian to see the exact location of their child on the map using such technologies as GPS, Wi-Fi, or LBS (depending on the app and network capabilities). Parents are also able to set safe and unsafe zones on the app. They will get notified when their child leaves or enters any of the zones set in place.
The best of the applications (for example, Findmykids) also provide such functions as Live-listening, SOS signal, mobile app usage statistics, and movement history for several days.
Tracking children elderly, teens, spouses, and more can help the most anxious person calm down and relax. You want your family to be safe and seeing that your child has arrived at school or that your spouse arrived in a different state safely can take a huge weight off someone’s shoulders.
Why Should a Parent Want to Track Their Child?
All parents want their children to be where they say. Parents are protectors by nature and we want what is best for our kids. Not only parents but tracking an elderly parent or family member with dementia is always a great way to keep your parents protected.
Tracking devices were created with safety in mind and they have helped many parents and family members keep track of their loved ones.
Android and iPhone users can gain access to the best tracking apps rather easily and there are several options to choose from.
|Findmykids||iOS 9 & newer, Android 4.2 & newer||10/10|
|Life 360||Android 8 & up, Apple/iOS||10/10|
|GpsWox Family Locator||iOS, Apple, Android and Windows||10/10|
|Family Link from Google||Android devices 7.0 & up||9/10|
|Fami Safe Wondershare||Android 4.4 -10, iOS 9 – iOS 15||8/10|
And now let’s look at the functionality, capabilities and, possibly, disadvantages of each application in detail.
10 Best Tracking Apps for Family for Android and iOS
Everyone should do their research and make a decision based on their needs. The features available today and the ways to track loved ones are always changing. Stay up to date and informed on every aspect of the tracking app you decide on.
This tracking app will allow you to receive notifications, track location history and even listen to your child’s surroundings (this feature is not available on iPhone). Your child is also able to send an SOS signal if they feel they are in danger.
- many functions besides tracking are available: real-time listening, SOS button, application usage statistics, child movement history and more;
- free trial;
- automatical notifications when a child has left or arrived at a “safe zone”;
- 24/7 real-time specialist support;
- compatible with GPS watches for kids.
- need to download a separate application for a children’s smartphone—Pingo;
- some features are limited in the free version (however, paid rates are very budget-friendly).
Download the Findmykids app right now and be sure your children are safe! You will need only 3-5 minutes, the child’s phone or the GPS watch.
Life360 offers location sharing, location alerts, directions and will also send out a driver’s report if you are worried about your teen being behind the wheel. You want to help keep your teen safe even when they feel they don’t need protection.
- easy communication by using text messages;
- ability to share information on individual people within a circle that you save.
- adding devices you want to track only possible with invitations;
- high battery consumption.
The Verizon tracker app allows a parent to set data limits which can set positive habits when it comes to using electronic devices. A parent can block certain contacts to prevent anyone unsafe from contacting them along with tracking your child’s or loved one’s location when needed.
- it stores the location history of each family member for seven days;
- easy to install the family tracking app;
- using the virtual map allows you to get familiar with any known locations.
- a free trial exists, but you have to pay a monthly subscription since there’s no free version;
- no compatibility outside of the Verizon network.
Gpswox Family Locator
This tracker can follow your child or loved one in real time. You are also able to look at the history and get alerts when your child goes to locations or zones you do not want them to be in.
The Gpswox will also help encourage step goals so you can challenge your family members to stay in shape. It will also alert you to a low battery.
- real-time location tracking for the entire family;
- location history available for 30 days;
- speed alerts for anyone going over the limits;
- the family tracker app has a bit of an outdated design;
- a learning curve is necessary to understand all location tracking features.
Family Link from Google
This tracker helps create positive digital habits by setting screen time limits on your device. Find your family whenever you need to and also keep the anxiety away with this tracker. You will feel secure with Google keeping an eye on your loved ones.
- Google Family Link is a completely free family locator app;
- you also get a parental control app with screen time limits and other features;
- Family Link is easy to use and has reliable customer support.
- Apple mobile device compatibility is only available from iOS11;
- no advanced options like geofencing—a rather basic app.
Fami Safe Wondershare
Wondershare will allow you to keep track of your kids, view their location history, and receive alerts that you set on the device. This tracking app can track in real-time as well.
- you can count on live location to show accurate locations of your family members;
- geofencing helps you ensure the family member’s phone stays in the designated areas;
- activity reports for your child’s phone and an app blocker available.
- the app is occasionally buggy;
- you need time to learn how to navigate around the dashboard and use the family locator feature.
Family Time App
The Family Time App can allow you to look at a map and see all of your family members at once to get the best picture of where everyone is. This can help parents to plan on who will pick up a child because they can see who is closer. The map is a great time saver for a busy family.
- all-around parental control, and not only a location tracking app;
- location history logging is convenient and includes addresses;
- various screen time features and an intuitive interface.
- the free version doesn’t include location tracking—you have to go premium;
- some features are only available on iOS or Android devices.
With the Family Locator, you are able to receive notifications when a family member is not where they are supposed to be. You can set safe zones to keep children away from a place you do not want them to be.
- you can track location history with this app;
- location sharing is a convenient option;
- it’s possible to chat with your family via this tracking app.
- live location updates aren’t reliable and can provide late information;
- the free version is quite limited.
Glympse can track location, mileage and help with following goals, screen time, and activity of family members. Glympse is also used by employers to help monitor their employees’ production. It is a great app for tracking teens in the same manner.
- GPS location technology with a quick and simple sharing option;
- easy to use with a minimal learning curve;
- automatic expiration of shared updates for family safety.
- no real-time location tracking—it’s necessary to manually share the whereabouts;
- not primarily made to be used for family tracking.
The Safe 365 tracker app can help track the location of your family members, set alerts to be notified when they leave specific safe zones, and more. Tracking with this app sets your mind at ease.
- live location sharing is accurate and helpful;
- a summary notification on driving habits after each ride;
- location tracking alerts and ETA info.
- a free version is somewhat limited;
- the interface could be more intuitive.
Read also 17 Best Family Calendar Apps 2023.
How to Pick the Best Family Tracker App?
Which features should the best family locator apps have? Here’s a brief overview:
- Real-time location tracking. Accurate information about the family members’ live location is a critical feature in this type of apps. GPS location technology is how the software gathers information on the user’s whereabouts.
- Geofencing and creating safe zones. You can create certain zones like work or school and receive notifications once the tracked phone leaves that zone.
- Instant alerts. These can be a vital safety feature when looking for the best family locator. You receive alerts as soon as the person leaves the designated safe zone or any other issue occurs.
- Location history. Depending on the app, it could store location history for days, weeks, or months.
- Check-ins. It’s a convenient feature that allows users to notify you they arrived in a certain area.
- Location sharing. This allows users to share their location with other family members from inside the app.
How to Put to Use a Family Locator App?
The actual process depends on the app, but the steps should be similar. We used Findmykids as an example in the steps listed below:
- Step 1. Download the Findmykids app for your iOS or Android device.
- Step 2. Take a family member’s phone and install the Pingo app.
- Step 3. Open the Findmykids app and click on Connect a Child’s Phone.
Check and see—does your family locator app work? That should be enough to get you ready to use the app!
What is The Best Free Family Locator App?
Many parents are looking for the best app to track their family but they also are on a budget and want the most bang for their buck. Looking around and comparing tracking apps is a very responsible way to go about getting an app.
There are several free family tracking apps available. The top 3 are Findmykids, Life 360, and Verizon Family Locator. All of these apps will allow you to have the peace of mind that comes along with installing a family tracking app on either your iOS or Android device.
Any device that you choose will be worth it. All parents want to keep their families safe. When a great family tracking app is paired with a free price, that is a great combination.
How to Use a Family Locator App?
Depending on the family tracking app you choose and what type of device you are installing it on, the process of using it will be different. The apps are all very easy to install and use. A locator app will send signals when requested.
You can press a button and find out exactly where your family member is. The signals from the device bounce off nearby cell phone towers in the area of the device you are tracking and will make for a very easy way to find out where a person is.
How can I find the best family tracking app for my needs?
You can find the top features to look for in the best family tracker app in our guide—they include real-time location tracking, instant alerts, and other features. Findmykids is an excellent choice if you don’t want to waste much time searching for location-tracking apps, but the Sygic Family Locator and others mentioned in our guide can be a decent choice.
When it comes to family location sharing, what are the top features to look for in an app?
The ease of use tops the list and the availability to share your location easily. A great family location app might also provide real-time updates and ETA to a particular location.
Are there any free family schedule apps that are worth using?
You can try Cozi Family Organizer, but another option is to go with family locator apps like Findmykids. They can inform you about the children’s whereabouts and use GPS location technology to inform you when they arrive or leave the safe zones you create. Those details help to create and follow the children’s schedule.
What are some of the unique features of the best family tracking apps for Android devices?
Live location tracking is a critical feature, especially when tracking a child’s device. Apart from knowing their whereabouts, the top tracking apps like Findmykids come with geofencing, compatibility with smartwatches, and other useful features.
Which family tracking app offers the most user-friendly interface for iPhone users?
It’s hard to find a family tracker that’s easier to use than Findmykids, especially on iPhone and other Apple devices. The tracker offers an intuitive interface and loads of useful features that put it among the best family tracking apps for iOS.
Whether it comes down to cost, the features, or the type of operating system you have, the decision on which tracking app is best for your family has to be yours. You need to know how to use the system and feel comfortable with it. You don’t want to decide to learn how it works when you actually need it. Choose the tracking app based on how many features match exactly what you are wanting it for and what you need it to be able to do for you.
Проверьте электронный ящик